Service Saturdays serve as “Humanity 101 in Action,” where intergenerational, multi-professional, and multi-communal individuals, groups, and organizations join us to distribute shoes, clothing, and toiletries. To experience this Saturday morning outreach twice a month--or every other Saturday--has continued to meet a growing need in this local community and as mirrored across the US—the need to extend humanity to individuals most denied that fundamental dignity—respect, kindness, compassion, and empathy. For the hundreds of volunteers we have had these many years, it is a welcome opportunity as well for deep self-reflection and critical reflection on class, race, gender, age, sexuality, ability, mental health, wellness, suffering, loss, and humanity.
Next Day of Service: May 21, 2022
New time 6:30 am - 8:30 am
1. Arrival-Parking (See arrow #1 on the map image)
- You will park in the gated parking lots at the SE corner of 12th AVE and Madison.
- YOU WILL NEED TO GET THE CODE FROM DR. NEAL LESTER PRIOR TO THE DAY OF THE EVENT!
- The parking lot is just North of the Human Services Campus Administrative Office located at 230 S. 12th Avenue, Phoenix 85007.
- The vehicle-gate and keypad are at the SW corner of the parking lot (See arrow #1 on the map image)
- Enter the 4-digit code followed by the pound key (#)
2. Walking out parking lot Pedestrian gate - (See arrow #2 on the map image)
- After parking, walk out the Pedestrian gate at the SE corner of the parking lot. This gate is unlocked.
3. Walking to volunteer area - (See arrow #3 on the map image)
- Walk South on 12th Ave.
- To your right, on the West side of 12th Ave, you will see a building "The Brian Garcia Welcome Center".
- Just beyond the building, you will come upon a vehicle gate with a sign "Human, Welcome Center". We are just beyond that gate!
- To the far right of the vehicle gate, there is a pedestrian gate entrance. If it is open, go through that gate.
- If the pedestrian entrance is not open, look for a security guard in front of the building, let them know you are a volunteer with the Project Humanities program and they should be able to help you get inside the gate.
- If there is no security guard, go to the desk inside the "The Brian Garcia Welcome Center" building and let them know you're a volunteer and need entry.
4. Volunteer area (See rectangle #4 on the map image)
- Once inside the gate, you should immediately find us in the grassy area of the CASS grounds.
- Volunteers should be wearing either "Project Humanities" shirts or pins.
- There is usually some pre-setup taking place just before the event, then an orientation at the beginning of the event.
- If you don't see an obvious place to jump in and help, or if you have any questions, seek out an experienced volunteer or Dr. Lester.
Friday Sorting: Every Friday 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The building (with 3 flags visible from downtown Tempe) sits atop hill, so drive up to the top. At top, bear right to arrive behind building and enter through double glass doors. Map and building pictured below: