Humanity 101 - respect
Respect in their words...
Dad needs to show an incredible amount of respect and humor and friendship toward his mate so the kids understand their parents are sexy, they're fun, they do things together, they're best friends. Kids learn by example. If I respect Mom, they're going to respect Mom.
Respect can only be given to those who have earned it by working for it.
There is no respect for others without humility in one's self.
Henri Frederic Amiel
If we lose love and self-respect for each other, this is how we finally die.
The fact that the adult American Negro female emerges a formidable character is often met with amazement, distaste and even belligerence. It is seldom accepted as an inevitable outcome of the struggle won by survivors, and deserves respect if not enthusiastic acceptance.
The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life.
I think a lot of people have lost respect for the individual, you know, the individual, the person who doesn't conform.
Never respect men merely for their riches, but rather for their philanthropy; we do not value the sun for its height, but for its use.
I do respect people's faith, but I don't respect their manipulation of that faith in order to create fear and control.
To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Be modest, be respectful of others, try to understand.
Live with integrity, respect the rights of other people, and follow your own bliss.
Anglo-Saxon civilization has taught the individual to protect his own rights; American civilization will teach him to respect the rights of others.
William Jennings Bryan
I think the way to keep a friendship is to respect that everybody is different.
Goodness and hard work are rewarded with respect.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear.
We do not covet anything from any nation except their respect.
Never esteem men on account of their riches or their station. Respect goodness, find it where you may.
Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?
Respect for the fragility and importance of an individual life is still the mark of an educated man.
When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect toward others.
As all human beings are, in my view, creatures of God's design, we must respect all other human beings. That does not mean I have to agree with their choices or agree with their opinions, but indeed I respect them as human beings.
Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.
I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.
This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
I firmly believe that respect is a lot more important, and a lot greater, than popularity.
If you have some respect for people as they are, you can be more effective in helping them to become better than they are.
John W. Gardner
Being brilliant is no great feat if you respect nothing.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The companies that survive longest are the ones that work out what they uniquely can give to the world not just growth or money but their excellence, their respect for others, or their ability to make people happy. Some call those things a soul.
There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you.
It may be important to great thinkers to examine the world, to explain and despise it. But I think it is only important to love the world, not to despise it, not for us to hate each other, but to be able to regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration and respect.
Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
Talk to people in their own language. If you do it well, they'll say, 'God, he said exactly what I was thinking.' And when they begin to respect you, they'll follow you to the death.
To get down to the quick of it, respect motivates me - not success.
We must respect the past, and mistrust the present, if we wish to provide for the safety of the future.
You don't have to love them. You just have to respect their rights.
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.
Friendship- my definition- is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don't have trust, the friendship will crumble.
Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
If once you forfeit the confidence of your fellow-citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.
We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.
Bryant H. McGill
It takes no compromising to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no survey to remove repressions.
Humility is a great quality of leadership which derives respect and not just fear or hatred.
First and foremost, I'm a feminist. And basically that stems from a strong belief that all people and creatures deserve equal opportunity, rights and respect.
Society as a whole benefits immeasurably from a climate in which all persons, regardless of race or gender, may have the opportunity to earn respect, responsibility, advancement and remuneration based on ability.
Sandra Day O'Connor
It is so important to get respect for what you do and at the same time give it.
When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become.
A student never forgets an encouraging private word, when it is given with sincere respect and admiration.
William Lyon Phelps
Parents need to teach their children principles of respect and acceptance.
Respect is a two-way street, if you want to get it, you've got to give it.
R. G. Risch
I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
It's very dramatic when two people come together to work something out. It's easy to take a gun and annihilate your opposition, but what is really exciting to me is to see people with differing views come together and finally respect each other.
Fred Rogers, The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things To Remember
I think of marriage as a garden. You have to tend to it. Respect it, take care of it, feed it. Make sure everyone is getting the right amount of, um, sunlight.
We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be the past; and we must respect the past, remembering that it was once all that was humanly possible.
By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive.
I think I'm a natural-born leader. I know how to bow down to authority if it's authority that I respect.
Respect for another man's opinion is worthy. It is the realization that any opinion is valuable, for it is the sign of a rational being.
It is not likely that posterity will fall in love with us, but not impossible that it may respect or sympathize; so a man would rather leave behind him the portrait of his spirit than a portrait of his face.
Robert Louis Stevenson
We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws.
Hunter S. Thompson
Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.
Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
- Respect Images - Google Image Search Results
- Pigs for Historians: A New View of Early America - Peter Mancall, University of Southern California professor of history and anthropology, is an advocate for an ecological approach to studying colonial America.
- The Critical 7 Rules To Understand People - My headline might sound overreaching. Clearly a rule can’t define something as complex as human behavior. But despite this, I’ve found most people tend to make the same mistakes. These mistakes are frequent enough that they create conflicts later. Remembering these seven rules will help you avoid these mistakes.
- Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that certain "closely held" for-profit businesses can cite religious objections in order to opt out of a requirement in ObamaCare to provide free contraceptive...
- Some Of My Best Friends Aren't Black Or Brown Or Asian... - Ninety percent of Latinos said that they are friends with people of a different race, according to new poll from Reuters and Ipsos, making them much more likely than the rest of America to reach across racial lines to make friends.
- Gay couple ordered to the back of the bus in Albuquerque - An Albuquerque Airport shuttle driver was suspended and the city’s human rights commission will investigate after the driver ordered a gay couple to the back of the bus because they were holding hands.
- Michigan college president refers to 'dark ones' — The leader of a small Michigan college referred to the faces of minorities on his campus as "dark ones" during an appearance Wednesday before a legislative subcommittee in Lansing but later issued an apology.
- Twenty-six Nationals United Through 'Respect' At Fryeburg Academy - At the annual UN Flag Processional, flag-bearers were introduced an asked to say "respect" in their native language. These nations acknowledge that conflict can be avoided through respect.
- Para-atheletes deserve equal respect: Amit Kumar - Those who participate in the Paralympics should be regarded with the same level of respect as those in the Olympics, as they perform at world-class levels to bring awards back for their countries in just the same way.
- US Government Orders School to Respect Transgender Student's Rights - Obama orders a Chicago's school's policy to be reversed--ruling in favor of a student's federal complaint against her school for being restricted access to the girls locker room because of transgender identity.
- Paying Respect To Ancestors Who Write About Enslavement - Michel Martin gathers descendents of men and women who wrote slave narratives in order to pay respect to these ancestors.
- People pay respect to Officer Webster with memorial visit - The Albuquerque community go to a public memorial to pay their respects to a police officer who passed away.